ICD-10-CM Coding for COVID-19
The effective date of service on or after April 1, 2020
A new code was developed by the World Health Organization, code U07. 1, for COVID-19. This is a primary code followed by any manifestations/symptoms of the disease. The new code, U07.1, should be reported for confirmed cases and presumptive positive test results.
Grouper Version 37.1, effective April 1, 2020 https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-forService-Payment/AcuteInpatientPPS/MS-DRG-Classifications-and-Software will need to be loaded into the agency’s EHR to allow for coding of the new U07 category.
- Chapter 22
- Codes for special purposes (U00-U85)
- Provisional assignment of new diseases of uncertain etiology or emergency use (U00-U49)
- Add Note: Codes U00-U49 are to be used by WHO for the provisional assignment of new diseases of uncertain etiology. U07 Conditions of uncertain etiology
- New code U07.1 COVID-19
- Add Use additional code to identify pneumonia or other manifestations.
- Add Excludes1: Coronavirus infection, unspecified site (B34.2)
- Add Coronavirus as the cause of diseases classified to other chapters (B97.2-)
- Add Pneumonia due to SARS-associated coronavirus (J12.81)