- What Hospice Medical Directors Need to Know About Coding
April 6, 2017
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Top Ten Issues for Hospice Coding
April 13, 2017
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Hospice coding continues to change, and it requires specific and updated training. Most education for Hospice Medical Directors has focused on eligibility and admissions decisions, yet a lack of detail or failure to code the appropriate co-morbidities impacts your future hospice payment models. Give your Medical Directors the information they need with this two-part webinar series by national coding expert Joan Usher.
2017 continues to bring attention to coding requirements for hospices – coding of not just the terminal diagnosis but related and unrelated comorbidities. The final rule for 2017 reiterated – “hospices will report all diagnoses identified in the initial and comprehensive assessments on hospice claims, whether related or unrelated to the terminal prognosis of the individual”. CMS reported that for 2015 data 37% of hospice claims included only one diagnosis while another 63% submitted two diagnoses and 46% submitted three or more diagnoses on the claim. For optimum coding, all levels of staff need to be involved: Admissions staff, Medical Directors, NPPs, Clinicians and QAPI team.
Target Audience: Hospice Medical Directors, Admissions staff, Medical Directors, NPPs, Clinicians and QAPI team
What Hospice Medical Directors Need to know About Coding: April 6, 2017, 2:00 – 3:00 pm
Description: Terminology and documentation needed by the Medical Directors & NPP to code effectively
- Identify common documentation issues that leads to poor coding
- Review of documentation on admission summary & physician narrative on CTI
- Identify three strategies to effectively educate professional staff on how to document for coding
- Discuss Test Your Knowledge cases to determine the level of specificity and laterality required for cancer & non-cancer diagnoses
Top Ten Issues for Hospice Coding: April 13, 2017, 2:00 – 3:00 pm
Description: Review top ten areas where Hospices have errors in coding
- Identify correct coding for the top 10 diagnoses for hospice
- Discussion of end stage diagnoses: e.g. cardiac, COPD, ESRD, liver disease, cancer diagnoses
- Describe documentation requirements for the top 10 diagnoses
- Recognize correct coding of “Test Your Knowledge” case studies
Joan Usher, BS, RHIA, ACE, President, JLU Health Record Systems is a nationally recognized AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM trainer. Joan has a degree in Health Information Management and has been a home health consultant for over 28 years. She has educated more than 15,000 people in nationwide on coding. Joan is past president of the Massachusetts Health Information Management Association (MaHIMA) and has served three years as a delegate for American Health Information Management Assn (AHIMA). Usher is a Board of Director of Hospice & Palliative Care Federation of MA. Joan’s webinars consistently earn outstanding reviews from participants.