- September 26, 2016 - September 30, 2016
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Ostomy Management Specialist Certification
Each year thousands of individuals of all ages face life changing surgeries to correct gastrointestinal or urinary tract disorders. These individuals require trained professionals to help them successfully adapt to the unique concerns caused by these surgeries. An Ostomy Management Specialist (OMS) is trained to understand both the physiological and emotional challenges people with stomas face on a daily basis.
5-day onsite This course will take you through the anatomy and physiology of the systems involved in fecal/urinary diversions. The course includes hands-on workshops and online pre-course modules.
The Ostomy Management Specialist®℠(OMS) Certification course includes eight (8) self-paced computer-based IN HOME instructional modules followed by ON-SITE classroom course with lectures and hands-on skills laboratories and practice sessions.
Anatomy and physiology of the gastrointestinal and urinary systems
- Adult and Pediatric Disease state management and disorders
- Surgical procedures – stoma site marking, diversions
- Psychosocial considerations
- Stoma and peristomal assessments and complications
- Wound management and healing
- Tube techniques and management
- Fistula management
- Products for Stoma and Peristomal care
- Pouching procedures
- Patient education and Ostomate bill of rights